What could be causing my bad breath?
Bad breath, or halitosis, is an embarrassing problem for millions of Americans. Finding the cause and eliminating the problem can be a challenge, though. Our Team knows that most causes do start in the mouth and can be treated.
Causes of Bad Breath
Here are some of the common causes of bad breath:
- Food: as food breaks down in your mouth, particles can increase bacteria and cause an odor. Some foods have an odor all their own that can offend, including onions and garlic.
- Tobacco: Both smoking and using chewing tobacco can cause seriously unpleasant breath. Both products can lead to gum disease and oral cancers which can produce offensive odors.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Brushing and flossing daily are your leading defense against the bacteria that is the primary cause for bad breath. Using a mouthwash can also improve your breath.
- Dry Mouth: Without the body’s natural defense for oral bacteria, saliva, bad breath can take over.
- Infections: Any kind of infection, including tooth decay and gum disease, can lead to bad breath as well.
To learn more about good dental hygiene and how you can avoid bad breath, please contact our practice at (310) 670-0220 today!
Comments are closed.